Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Three More Panels of Birch

I’ve been working on the rest of the upper interior panels for the last week or so.  Just three panels of birch, but a lot of cutting and fitting and cutting and fitting. . .

P4300400

P5010406

followed by sanding and four coats of finish.

P5050412

Olympic rivets are being used mostly, especially along the seams joining the three panels, extending that long line of bucked rivets on the aluminum panels.

P5050413

P5050415

P5050414

The first round of stripping is done on the overhead cabinets, too.  I’ve considered replacing them with the same type in birch, but I’m pretty sure I’ll just polish the originals and use birch doors.  It’s pretty hard to improve on the originals—functional and very lightweight.

P4300402

-steve

4 comments:

  1. Wow Steve, that is really looking beautiful. Can you tell me about the vent pipe looking setup in the second to last picture?
    Norm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Norm,

    Thanks. Somebody who saw it said, "that old thing is starting to look like a trailer." It is.

    That pipe is the inner exhaust pipe for the Dickinson propane heater. There's a 3" pipe that goes over the top of that one that it uses for intake air. That piece didn't want to come off when I took the heater off its temporary mount and it's been whacking me every time I walk by.

    -steve

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very warm and rich. I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really neat blog, Steve.

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete